Having arrived from Berks County, PA in 1765, Thomas Lingle decided to establish a new town. After purchasing the land and laying out the town, he named it “The Town of St. Thomas.” Because it was Mr. Lingle who founded the town, many people began calling it “Lingle’s town.” After he died in1811 the former name of the town was dropped and the name was unofficially changed to Linglestown.
|This is a copy of Thomas Lingle's original layout. There were originally 80 plots, 6 more have been added.|
Businesses prospered in Linglestown during the second half of the 19th century and many of the buildings that housed them still stand today.